Saturday 11 November 2017

Where's mental health when it comes to Leadership?

I took myself off to watch Ruby Wax at our local theatre for her Frazzled tour.  It was the first time I'd seen her 'in the flesh' so to speak.  I'd known about her through her TV comedy and that she'd had a hard time, taken herself off to do a degree and was promoting the need to acknowledge mental health issues. 

It was an insightful, honest, thoughtful, thought provoking, at times rapidly paced journey through some of her life's experiences.  Sure there was the comedy in there but there was also an extreme sense of fragility and bravura as she exposed herself to our gaze.  For those of you who haven't seen it I would recommend you do for it opens a window into how, in her case, severe mental illness can affect your life and makes you ask yourself questions.


In the second half of the show she opens herself up to questions.  Again a risky venture as you never know what will come out or how the questions might touch your inner demons.  Unfortunately I didn't get to ask the question I wanted to, despite having my hand waving in the air less than 2 metres from the woman with the roving mic.  I'm going to ask it here, right now and I'd be interested in your responses.

The question is, how do we show leadership when it comes to dealing with mental health issues in the workplace?

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome comments but reserve the right to moderate any deemed offensive or discriminatory.